05/06/2017 0 Comments
What to do in a Dental Emergency
An injury to the teeth or gums is potentially serious and you should never ignore it. By delaying a dental assessment or neglecting the issue completely, you may increase the risk for permanent damage as well as end up having to pay for a more expensive treatment.
Everyone is at risk for a dental emergency while exercising, playing or even eating. In the event you have one, you need to contact an emergency dentist in Hamilton right away as well as know what to do while you wait for your appointment.
What is a Dental Emergency?
Just about any dental problem is painful, but how do you know what is considered an emergency? Some common examples of a dental emergency include:
- An injured tooth or trauma to the mouth
- Chipped, cracked or broken teeth
- Severe pain in the mouth (not related to an injury)
- Teeth that have been knocked out
- A partially dislodged tooth
- A filling or crown that has fallen out
- An abscess that has formed inside the mouth
Tips for Handling a Dental Emergency
- During a dental emergency, there are things you can do to relieve the pain and with a timely visit to the dentist, get the treatment you need. These include:
- Caring for Knocked Out Teeth - If a tooth was knocked out, preserve the tooth by keeping it moist. You can place it in a cup of milk to preserve it, and then get it to your Hamilton dentist as soon as possible.
- Rinse and Treat - If you have a cracked tooth or toothache, rinse your mouth with warm water to clean the area. Then, apply a cold compress on the outside of the jaw to help reduce swelling. Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen, can be taken.
- Contact an Emergency Dentist in Hamilton - If it is during office hours, contact an emergency dentist in Hamilton as soon as possible. During after hours, go to the nearest emergency room if you have uncontrollable bleeding, a deep cut inside the mouth, an object lodged into your gums or mouth or any excessive swelling that makes it difficult to breathe.
Eastgate Dental Centre offers emergency dental services in Hamilton. We are accepting new patients and emergency dental cases seven days a week. Call us at 905-560-2714 for your dental emergency or contact us online for general dental appointments.