MAKE THESE YOUR 2018 ORAL HYGIENE RESOLUTIONS
Please note that our office is closed for renovations and we will be reopening on July 15th. If you have an emergency, please visit queenstondental.com or brushdentists.com/locations/paramount/ to book an appointment.
According to the Canadian Dental Association, only 64% of Canadians visited a dentist in the past year. Come 2018, let’s resolve to do better and improve our oral health!
In 2017, Canada was ranked highest among all the nations of the world for quality of life and for education. Shouldn’t we have the smiles to match our reputation? Visit Eastgate Dental Centre and let us help you and your children establish good oral hygiene routines that will promote not just your oral health but protect your overall health and well-being. At our Hamilton Dental office, our dentists and hygienists will show you how easy it is to keep your 2018 dental health resolutions and give you reasons to smile throughout the New Year.
Visiting Your Hamilton Dental Office is More Important than Ever… Here’s Why
Avoiding the dentist and not practicing a proper at-home oral health routine can lead to complications that go beyond cavities, gum disease, tooth loss, and bad breath. The latest research indicates that inflammation in the gums can actually affect the health of your heart and other organs. Why is this important? Heart disease is the second-leading cause of death behind cancer. At your Hamilton dental office, your dentist can detect the early signs of oral cancers, gum disease, cavities, and help stop the many preventable diseases linked to poor oral health.
Professional dental cleaning during your visit to our office is also an important safeguard against gum disease and its complications. Our gentle hygienists lean beneath the gum line and
hard-to-reach places between the teeth. You can’t help but smile with that fresh-from-the-dentist feeling of really clean teeth!
Oral Hygiene Resolutions for 2018
Let 2018 be the year you control of your oral health! Following these oral hygiene recommendations from the Canadian Dental Association will help set you up for a smile-worthy 2018:
· Floss every day — Even with all the fancy electric toothbrushes and water picks out there, daily flossing is still essential. When you don’t floss, you’re only cleaning 66% of the tooth surface.
Since plaque becomes calculus (the really hard-to-remove stuff) in as little as 24 hours, you should be flossing at least once a day.
· Care for your gums — With a soft- or extra-soft-bristle toothbrush, gently massage your gums every day. Don’t scrub aggressively as this can cause the gums to recede down to the tooth roots.
· Brush twice a day — You should brush your teeth twice a day; once when you wake up and again before you head off to bed. To brush properly, angle the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle, making sure to brush along the gum line, the biting surfaces, and the back molars.
· Avoid these bad habits — Sugary sodas and snacks are one of the leading causes of cavities. For 2018, try choosing healthier drink and snack options. Also, passively chewing ice, pencils, pens, fingernails, and other hard substances can erode the enamel. Make a conscious decision to avoid these habits, or keep your mouth busy with sugar-free gum or a healthy snack such as celery. And, of course, avoid tobacco; it’s not only unattractive, but bad for your oral health and health in general.
· Visit your dentist — Regular dental check-ups and cleanings can help remove the plaque, calculus, and tartar missed during your at-home oral health routine. As previously mentioned, dental visits can also detect and prevent many diseases of the gums and teeth, as well as oral cancers.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Hamilton Dentist
Even if it’s been ages since your last appointment, our Hamilton dentist can help you get on the right track and be more proactive with your oral health. Make a smile part of your style — schedule an appointment with Eastgate Dental, today! We also serve Stoney Creek and the surrounding areas.